rhsa banner
Search the site:  
  1. Admissions
  2. Scholarships
  3. Student Organizations
  4. Virtual Campus Tour
Admission Procedures and Requirements
Students seeking admission to the Animal Science or Ornamental Horticulture and Turfgrass Management AAS programs may apply for formal admission to the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture by submitting the UConn Undergraduate Admissions application. Students are encouraged to apply online from the Undergraduate Admissions Office website

On the UConn application, you will be asked to indicate your choice of school/college, program and major. Please recognize that Animal Science is a major in the both the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture (AAS programs) and the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (BS programs).  When selecting your choice of school/college program and major, if you are applying to the Animal Science major, be sure to select “SA: Animal Science” for the RHSA (AAS) program or “AG: Animal Science” for the CANR (BS) program.  Students applying to the RHSA program for the Ornamental Horticulture and Turfgrass Management major should select “SA: Ornamental Horticulture and Turfgrass Management”.

Applicants may list their first-choice school/college program and major, and one alternate program. If you are applying to the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources for admission as a baccalaureate student, you may want to consider listing RHSA as an alternate school/college on your admissions application. Some students who are admitted into the AAS program are not eligible for immediate admission into the baccalaureate program. However, RHSA graduates who complete the program with a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 or above may apply to transfer into the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.

Admission for recent high school graduates is based primarily on academic performance in high school, Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) scores, and relevant activities and experiences. A personal essay, emphasizing an applicant’s interests and goals, is also considered. Students must have at least 16 high school credits, including four years of English, three years of mathematics, two years of biological and/or physical science and two years of social science. Foreign language is not required for admission or graduation from RHSA. College preparatory courses are recommended, but not required for admission into the AAS.

RHSA also welcomes adult and non-traditional students. The SATs are not required for applicants who are 25 years or older or if the student has earned 45 or more college-level credits. Work experience, professional or community activities, and other factors are often significant considerations in reviewing non-traditional student applications.

Once admitted, matriculated (i.e. formally admitted though the UConn Admissions process) students may select full-time or part-time schedules. Individuals may also choose to register as part-time non-degree (non-matriculated) students through the College of Continuing Studies. Formal admission into the University is not required to enroll in individual RHSA courses.

Detailed information on admission requirements and procedures may be obtained from the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

Related Links:
List of RHSA courses
Department of
Animal Science
Department of
Plant Science & Landscape Architecture
Plans of Study
Transfer Policies & Procedures
Scholarships and
Financial Aid
Careers and Internships
Advising Information
Application Process
UConn Student
Services Center
Office of the Registrar
©University of Connecticut, Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
1376 Storrs Road, U-4090
Storrs, CT 06269
(860) 486-2920
canr rhsa