- PLSC 3990 is open to juniors and seniors majoring in turfgrass and soil science, horticulture, or landscape architecture.
- The educational gain to be achieved by the internship must be beyond that obtained through course work. Furthermore, the experience should not be simply that of working at a job. In general, internship credits will not be allowed for working at jobs currently or previously held by the student. In such instances, students should be encouraged to pursue independent study projects.
- A memorandum of understanding will be required which clearly states the responsibilities of the student, faculty instructor, and field supervisor for the internship period. These requirements must include, but are not limited to, the duration and terms of employment, a detailed written report covering the internship period, the number of credits, and the academic basis for assigning a grade. The agreement must be completed prior to the beginning of the internship. The agreement must be approved and signed by the field supervisor, faculty instructor and academic advisor, before signature by the department head. The same person cannot serve as both faculty instructor and field supervisor. The faculty instructor will be responsible for determining material to be covered in the report and for evaluating it prior to submitting a grade. Interim reports, daily logs, or summaries may also be required by the instructor. The final report will be submitted by the student to the instructor following completion of the internship period. The deadline for submission of the final report shall be specified in the memorandum of understanding. The field supervisor will provide a written evaluation of the student upon completion of the internship period. The agreement will be similar in form to the model agreement attached to these guidelines.
- Credits will be assigned depending on when the internship work is undertaken For internships undertaken during the academic year, i.e., fall or spring semester, a minimum of 28 hours of supervised work will be required for each credit. If work is not supervised, a minimum of 42 hours will be required for each credit. For internships undertaken in the summer, a minimum of 4 weeks of full-time employment shall be required for each credit. It is the responsibility of the student and instructor to ensure that the credit awarded is appropriate for the work done.
- A file covering the completed internship, or appropriate summary, including the original agreement, shall be retained by the faculty instructor.
- PLSC 3990 will be offered only on a Satisfactory/ Unsatisfactory basis.
Guidelines approved: 2009-11-02
Click here to download Memorandum of Understanding for PLSC 3990 Internship.
Click here for instructions on filling out Memorandum of Understanding.
Click here for Independent Study Authorization Form