Amy R. Mobley, PhD, RD
Assistant Professor, Community Nutrition
Jones Building, Room 223
- Ph.D., Nutrition, 2006 – University of Maryland
- M.S., Human Nutrition, 1998 – The Ohio State University
- B.S., Applied Nutrition, 1996 – The Pennsylvania State University
- 2007 – Social Marketing Training Academy, Center for Social Marketing College of Public Health, University of South Florida
- 2007 – American Dietetic Association Leadership Institute
- 2004 – Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management Commission on Dietetic Registration, American Dietetic Association
- 1997 – Post-Graduate Dietetic Internship, Ohio State University
Academic and Professional Experience
- 8/11-present – Assistant Professor, Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- 9/11-present – Affiliate, Center for Health, Intervention, and Prevention, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- 12/14-present – Affiliate, Center for Environmental Health and Health Promotion, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT9/10-8/11 – Faculty Associate, Center on Aging and the Life Course, Purdue University
- 4/07-8/11– Director, Indiana’s Food for the Hungry Program, Purdue University
- 8/06-8/11 – Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Nutrition Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- 8/02-1/06 – Nutrition Scientist - Contractor, National Institutes of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS), Bethesda, MD
- 8/02-6/05 – Graduate Teaching Assistant, Dept of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- 6/03-8/04 – Lecturer, Dept of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- 7/98-8/02 – Nutrition Communication Manager/Public Relations Manager, American Dairy Association & Dairy Council Mid East, Columbus, OH
- 9/96-9/97 – Graduate Research and Teaching Associat, Department of Human Nutrition, The Ohio State University
- 9/95-5/96 – Nutrition Counselor, Nutrition Clinic, The Pennsylvania State University
- Ecological approaches to preventing obesity
- Nutrition education and behavior
- Parental influences on childhood obesity
- Social marketing
- Food security
- Special focus on limited resource audiences
Grants and Contracts
“Test of a theory-based weight loss program for couples: Project TEAMS”(December 1, 2014-November 30, 2016), Co-PI: Amy R. Mobley: NIH/1R21HL125157 (PI: Amy Gorin) $432,705 total costs
- “The Forgotten Parent: Paternal Influences on Young Children’s Eating Behaviors” University of Connecticut, Center for Health, Intervention and Prevention, New Investigator Grant
(April 1, 2013-June 30, 2015), PI: Amy R. Mobley, $7500
- “Evaluation of nutrition education efforts to prevent childhood obesity from preconception to preschool in low-income families” (October 1, 2012-September 30, 2017); PI: Amy R. Mobley: USDA Hatch grant, $71,900 direct costs
- “Breaking through barriers that prevent low-income families from meeting the Dietary Guidelines for fruit, vegetables and whole grains: A novel behavioral-based approach translated to the community” (March 20, 2012-current); PI: Amy R. Mobley: Diet and Health Initiative, University of Connecticut, $50,000 direct costs
- “Mobilizing Rural Communities to Assess and Improve the Ecological Environment to Prevent Childhood Obesity” (March 1, 2011-February 29, 2016); Co-PI: Amy R. Mobley: USDA/Agriculture and Food Research Initiative, $260,674 (PI: Paula Peters, Kansas State University, $4,500,000 total costs)
*denotes graduate student advisee
- Vollmer R.L.*, Adamsons K., Foster J.S.*, Mobley A.R. Association of fathers' feeding practices and feeding style on preschool age children's diet quality, eating behavior and body mass index. Appetite, 2015 Jun 1;89:274-81. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2015.02.021. Epub 2015 Feb 17.
- Vollmer R.L.*, Adamsons K., Gorin A., Foster J.S.*, Mobley A.R. Investigating the relationship of body mass index, diet quality, and physical activity level between fathers and preschool age children. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015 Jan 28. pii: S2212-2672(14)01811-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2014.12.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mobley A.R., Jones J.M., Rodriguez J., Slavin J., Zelman K.M. Identifying Practical Solutions to Meet America’s Fiber Needs: Proceedings from a Food & Fiber Summit. Nutrients. 2014 Jul 8;6(7):2540-51.
- Mobley A.R., Jensen J.D., Maulding M. Attitudes, beliefs and barriers related to milk consumption in older, low-income women, J Nutr Educ Behav, 2014:Nov-Dec;46(6):554-9.
- Sigman-Grant M., Byington T., Lindsay A., Lu M., Mobley A.R., Fitzgerald N., Hildebrand D. Preschoolers can distinguish between healthy and unhealthy foods: the All 4 Kids study, J Nutr Educ Behav, 2014:46(2):121-127.
- Vollmer R.L.*, Mobley, A.R. Parenting styles, feeding styles, and their influence on childhood obesogenic behaviors and body weight: a review, Appetite, 2013:71:232-241.
- Mobley A.R., Slavin J.L., Hornick B. The future of grains foods dietary guidance: Helping Americans make the most of their grain food choices, J Nutr 2013 Sep;143(9):1527S-1532S.
- Vollmer R.L.*, Mobley A.R. A Pilot Study to Explore How Low-Income Mothers of Different Ethnic/Racial Backgrounds Perceive and Implement Recommended Childhood Obesity Prevention Messages, Childhood Obesity June 2013:9(3):261-268.
- Neuenschwander L.M.*, Abbott A., Mobley A.R, Comparison of a web-based versus in-person nutrition education program for low-income adults, J Acad Nutr Diet 2013:113:120-126.
- Clemens R., Kranz S., Mobley A.R., Nicklas T.A., Raimondi M.P., Rodriguez J.C., Slavin J.L. Warshaw H. Filling America’s fiber intake gap: Summary of a roundtable to probe realistic solutions with a focus on grain-based foods. J. Nutr 2012:142: 1390S–1401S.
- Levine E., Abbatangelo-Gray J., Mobley A.R., McLaughlin G.R., Herzog J. Evaluating MyPlate: An Expanded Framework Using Traditional and Nontraditional Metrics for Assessing Health Communication Campaigns. J Nutr Educ Behav 2012:44(4):S2-S12.
Most downloaded article 2013 (3rd quarter) on www.jneb.org
- Yehle K.S., Chen A.M.H., Plake K.S., Yi J.S., Mobley A.R. A qualitative analysis of coronary heart disease patient views of dietary adherence and web-based and mobile-based nutrition tools. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 2012;32(4):203-209.
- Mobley A.R. Emergency food programs: Untapped opportunities for Extension? Journal of Extension August 2012:50(4). On-line: http://www.joe.org/joe/2012august/rb8.php
- Neuenschwander L.M.*, Abbott A., Mobley A.R. Assessment of low-income adults' access to technology: Implications for nutrition education. J Nutr Educ Behav 2012:44(1):60-65.
- Sigman-Grant M., Strom H., Olson B., Wengreen H, Krogstrand K.S., Mobley A.R. Qualitative evidence of the disconnect between intent and interpretation of common child obesity prevention messages. Forum for Family and Consumer Issues December 2010: 15(3). On-line: http://www.ncsu.edu/ffci/index.php.
- Mobley A.R., Kraemer D., Nicholls J. Putting the nutrient rich foods index into practice. J Am Coll Nutr 2009:28(4):427S-435S.
- Mobley, A.R., Breaking barriers to fluid milk consumption in older adults. Food Technology June 2011: 22.
- Mobley A.R. Review: New resources for nutrition educator. J Nutr Educ Behav 2007:39(3):179-180.
- Chea M.*, Foster J.S.*, Mobley A.R. Accuracy of Consumers’ Ability in Identifying Whole Grains Foods: Implications for Policy Change. FASEB J. March 28, 2015.
- Foster J.S.*, Adamsons K., Vollmer R.L.*, Mobley A.R. Is Nutrition Assistance Program Participation or Food Security Status Associated with Parental Feeding Style or Child Body Mass Index? FASEB J. March 28, 2015.
- Vollmer R.L.*, Adamsons K., Foster J.S.*, Mobley A.R. Are Fathers’ Feeding Practices Associated with Preschool Age Children’s Diet Quality, Eating Behavior, or Weight? FASEB J. March 28, 2015.
- Vollmer R.L.*, Adamsons K., Foster J.S.*, Mobley A.R. Do Low-income Mothers and Fathers of Preschool Children Share Similar Concerns and Perception about Their Child’s Body Weight? FASEB J. March 28, 2015.
- Peters P., Mobley A.R., Proctor S., Contreras D., Gold A., Smathers C., Oscarson R., Keim A. Mobilizing Rural Low-Income Communities to Assess and Improve the Ecological Environment. International Conference and Exhibition on Obesity and Weight Management (December 2014)
- Albanese R.R.*, Vollmer R.L.*, Smith J.S.*, Mobley A.R. Exploring the Influence of Paternal Race, Ethnicity, Education Level, and Child Gender on Paternal Feeding Style: Implications for Childhood Obesity Prevention. The Obesity Society (November, 2014)
- Wang J.S., Bennett M., Cloutier M.M., Dugan A.G., Gadlin H., Mobley A.R., Pescatello L.S., Swede H., Gorin A.A. Thinking Big about Obesity: A Transdisciplinary Team Science Building Initiative. The Obesity Society (November, 2014)
- Vollmer R.L.*, Adamsons K., Gorin A., Smith J.S.*, Mobley A.R. Investigating the relationship of body mass index, diet quality, and physical activity level between fathers and their preschool age children. The Obesity Society (November, 2014)
- Chea M.*, Drake L.T., Snyder L.B., Mobley A.R. Evaluating differences in the perceptions of the Dietary Guidelines consumer messages between nutrition educators and their low-income clients. J Acad Nutr Diet (October, 2014)
- Mobley A.R., Adamsons K., Vollmer R.L., Rose A., Smith, J. S. Is it time for father-focused childhood obesity prevention programs for low-income families? A needs assessment and feasibility study. FASEB J. April 28, 2014: 808.19.
- Hubbs-Tait L., Mobley A.R., Kimble A.B., Hayes J., Dickin K., Sigman-Grant M. Relation of control in parenting and feeding styles to child overweight and obesity. FASEB J. April 28, 2014: 808.7.
- Kimble A.B., Hubbs-Tait L., Hayes J., Sigman-Grant M., Jahns L., Dickin K., Idris R., Mobley A.R. Caregiver’s feeding styles questionnaire - new factors and correlates. FASEB J. April 28, 2014: 808.4.
- Smith J.S.*, Contreras D., Gold A., Keim A., Oscarson R., Peters P., Procter S., Remig V., Smathers C., Mobley A.R. What nutrition and physical activity policies and practices are most lacking in early childhood centers within rural communities? FASEB J. April 28, 2014: 808.20.
- Peters P., Mobley A.R., Proctor S., Contreras D., Gold A., Bruns K., Oscarson R., Keim A., Peters P. Mobilizing Rural Low-Income Communities to Assess and Improve the Ecological Environment, J Nutr Educ Behav 2013: 45(4S):UP39.
- Vollmer R.L.*, Mobley A.R. Relationship between Parental Feeding and Child Eating Styles in Low-income Families with Preschool Age Children, FASEB J. April 9, 2013. 27:37.2.
- Davis L.*, Morgan S.E., Mobley A.R . Beyond ‘5-A-Day’: An examination of memorable messages within a fruit and vegetable intervention for low-income African Americans, J Acad Nutr Diet 2012:112(9):A-16.
- Doherty E.F.*, MacGeorge E.L., Maulding M.K., Mobley A.R. Qualitative evaluation of advertisements promoting milk product consumption among women ages 60 years and older. J Nutr Educ Behav 2012: 44(4S):S48.
- Dickin K.L., Hubbs-Tait L. Sigman-Grant M., Jahns L., Mobley A.R, Willits-Smith A. What can child silhouette data tell us? Exploring links to parenting, food and activity behaviors, BMI, and maternal concerns, JISBNPA (May 2012)
- Mobley A.R., Vollmer R.L., Sigman-Grant M. Relationship of parental dyad feeding styles on children’s weight status and related obesogenic behaviors, FASEB J. March 29, 2012 26:1011.6
- Dickin K.L., Hubbs-Tait L. Sigman-Grant M., Jahns L., Mobley A.R. Feeding practices correlated with authoritative parenting style and responsive feeding style scores, FASEB J. March 29, 2012 26:1011.14.
- Vollmer R.L.*, Sigman-Grant M., Mobley A.R. Don’t forget about dad: Exploring paternal influences on children’s weight status and eating behaviors, FASEB J. March 29, 2012 26:1011.7.
Educational (sample list):
- Purdue University, Foods and Nutrition Fact Sheet Series, Cooperative Extension, Topics: Beverages, Family Meals, Feeding Young Children, Sodium
(URL: http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/cfs.htm#5); 2008
- Calcium Fact Sheet, National Institutes of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements
(URL: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp); 2004
- “Phytochemicals, Vitamins of the Future?”, The Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet HYG-5050-98.
- “Chemoprevention, The Answer to Cancer?”, The Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet HYG-5051-98.
- NUSC 1165: Fundamentals of Nutrition
- NUSC 3230: Principles of Community Nutrition
- NUSC 4295: Special Topics - Dietary Supplements and Nutraceuticals
- NUSC 5398: Special Topics- Advanced Nutrition Education Methods in the Community
Independent studies and field experiences:
- NUSC 3180: Community Nutrition Experience
- NUSC 3291: Nutrition Internship (Community Nutrition Emphasis)
- NUSC 4299: Independent Study
Instructor, Other Universities:
- FN 330: Diet Selection and Planning, Purdue University
- FN 530: Public Health Nutrition, Purdue University
- NFSC 100: Elements of Nutrition, University of Maryland
Graduate Students (current)
- Advisor, Molika Chea, MS, CHES, Department of Nutritional Sciences
- Advisor, Jaime Smith, MS, RD, Department of Nutritional Sciences
- Advisor, Jesse Chiero, MS, Department of Nutritional Sciences
- Examination committee, Mastaneh Sharafi, MS, Department of Nutritional Sciences
- Examination committee, Santo Coleman, MPH, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine
PhD Students (completed)
- Advisor, Rachel Vollmer, MS, RD, Department of Nutritional Sciences. “The Forgotten Parent: Exploring Paternal Influences on Young Children’s Eating Behaviors, Diet Quality, Physical Activity, and Body Weight” Ph.D., May 2014. Current Position: Assistant Professor, Department of Family & Consumer Sciences, Illinois State University
- Associate Advisor, Danielle Bloom, Department of Nutritional Sciences
- Associate Advisor, Von Jesse, Department of Human Development and Family Studies
Master’s Students (completed)
- Advisor, Laura Joseph, Department of Nutritional Sciences, “Does Nutrition Education Influence Snack Choices of Preschoolers? MS, August 2014.
- Advisor, Jaime Smith, RD, Department of Nutritional Sciences, “Determining the relationship of food security status and participation in nutrition assistance programs on parental feeding style and childhood obesity.” MS, May 2014.
- Associate advisor, Erin Lenz, Department of Psychology. “Pretreatment Predictors of Weight Loss in a Comprehensive Behavioral Weight Loss Program,” MA, December 2013.
- Associate advisor, Katherine Yarbrough, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine. “Association between food insecurity and the availability of and consumption of sugar sweetened beverages among preschool children,” MPH, August 2012.
Presentations (sample list)
- Don’t Forget About Dad: Novel Approaches to Childhood Obesity Prevention, Center for Health, Intervention and Prevention, University of Connecticut (March 2015)
- The New Dietary Guidelines: Putting Policy into Practice, Florida Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, Weston, FL (July 2011)
- Facts & Fallacies: Nutrition in the Golden Years, Purdue University Retirement Association (April 2011)
- Going with the Grain: Solutions to Achieve 2010 Dietary Guidelines Fiber Recommendations, Society for Nutrition Education Webinar (March 2011)
- Attitudes, Beliefs and Barriers Regarding Milk/Milk Product Consumption in Older Women, Center for Aging in the Life Course, Purdue University (Feb 2011)
- Environmental and Policy Approaches to Promoting Healthy Eating and Physical Activity in Indiana Communities, Purdue University Healthy Planet Symposium (Feb 2010)
- Consumer Research and Educational Tools for the NRF Model, International Workshop on Nutrient Richness/ Nutrient Density, Utrecht, The Netherlands (May 2009)
- Nutrition for Sale: Marketing your Nutrition Message to Change Behavior, Nutrient Rich Symposium, Greenwood, IN (May 2009)
- Helping Consumers Make Sense of Front of Pack Labeling, Nebraska Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, Lincoln, NE (April 2009)
- Helping Americans Achieve Better Health with Nutrient Rich Foods: A Scientifically Valid, Consumer Driven Approach Nutrition News Forecast, American Dietetic Association Spokesperson training, Chicago, IL (April 2009)
- Putting the Nutrient Rich Foods Index into Practice: Tools for Consumer Applications, American College of Nutrition Annual Meeting, Washington, DC (Oct 2008)
- Friend or Foe? Emergency Food Assistance Programs & Clients with a Medical Condition, Indiana TEFAP Advisory Committee, Indianapolis, IN (July 2007)
- Behavioral-based Approaches for Chronic Disease Prevention and Treatment: Tips for Nutrition Practice, Indiana Committee on Renal Nutrition, Indianapolis, IN (April 2007)
Honors and Awards
- 2015 – Selectee, Dannon Institute 2015 Early Career Nutrition Leadership Institute
- 2015 – Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group Speaker Stipend Award, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2012 – Jeanne M. Priester Award, Statewide/Multi-State Program: All 4 Kids Program (mult -state effort) involving: University of Nevada (PI: Madeleine Sigman-Grant), University of Connecticut (PI: Amy R. Mobley), Oklahoma State University (PI: Deanna Hildebrand) & Rutgers University (PI: Nurgul Fitzgerald)
- 2011 – Seed for Success, Excellence in Research Award, Purdue University
- 2011 – Nutrition Education for the Public (NEP) Award for Excellence, NEP Dietetic Practice Group, American Dietetic Association
- 2011 – Award for Excellence in Distance Learning, Non-Credit Course, Purdue University
- 2010 – Teaching for Tomorrow Award Fellow, Purdue University
- 2010 – Mary L. Matthews Undergraduate Teaching Award, College of Consumer and Family Sciences, Purdue University
- 2009 – Outstanding Teaching Award, Department of Nutrition Science, Purdue University
- 2006 – Dean’s Dissertation Fellowship, The Graduate School, University of Maryland
- 2006 – Penn State Nutrition & Dietetics Alumni Society MACS Award
- 2005 – Mary Swartz Rose Memorial Graduate Scholarship, American Dietetic Association
- 2005 – Returning Graduate Student Scholarship Award, Maryland Dietetic Association
- 2004 – Mead Johnson/Bristol Myers Squibb Scholarship, American Dietetic Association
- 2004 – Eleanora Sense Memorial Scholarship, American Dietetic Association
- 2002 – Distinguished Service Award, American Dairy Association & Dairy Council Mid East
- 2001 – Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year (Ohio), American Dietetic Association
- 2001 – Emerging Professional Award, College of Health and Human Development Alumni, The Pennsylvania State University
- 1999 – Outstanding Dietetic Intern Award (Ohio), American Dietetic Association
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Connecticut Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Society for Nutrition, Chair-elect: Nutrition Education and Behavior Science Research Interest Section
- Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior
News and Updates
Spring 2015 Seminar Series
A Seminar Series Presented by the Department of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Connecticut
Please go to the CANR Scholarships and Financial Aid page for Scholarship information