Building a Farm Risk Management Plan
Developing a set of business goals and a strategy to attain those goals is the first step in any farm risk management plan. Sound risk management means reducing the impact of risk and considering all options available to you. The sites listed below will help you review the risks you face and options available to you to manage those risks.
- Managing Your Risk
- Managing Financial Risk
- Managing Financial Risk [SPANISH]
- Managing Production Risk
- Managing Production Risk [SPANISH]
- Managing Marketing Risk
- Managing Marketing Risk [SPANISH]
- Managing Human Resources Risk
- Managing Human Resources Risk [SPANISH]
- Managing Legal Risk
- Managing Legal Risk [SPANISH]
- Managing Nursery Risk
These sites provide general information on farm risk management. Each site opens the door to an array of related topics.
- Purdue Extension - This site provides an excellent list of publications including, but not limited to, such topics as making a business better or bigger, value added agriculture and business tools.
- Risk and Risk Management - These fact sheets define risk management.
- Ag Risk Education Library - Excellent site that provides many useful publications on a variety of management topics. Click on Ag Risk Library.
- New England Small Farm Institute - An excellent site that provides course and workshop information as well as important articles on the subject.
- Four Roads to the Future of Agriculture - Information presented describes the skills, resources and strategies farmers will need to make their way in the future.
These sites provide specific information on farm risk management. Please refer to the brief web site description for details.
- Risk and Resilience in Agriculture - Provides description of the five areas of risk farmers face.
- Record Keeping: Essential to Risk Management - Maintaining good records is important to the success of any operation. This checklist helps you to maintain good records.
- Keeping the Family Farm Healthy
- Top 10 keys to building a profitable dairy business (fact sheet)