Skip to Search
Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content

Helpful Websites for Finding Grants

Even if you miss a deadline, or you don’t qualify for a particular grant or loan program, there is valuable information on many websites that will help you design, and package your ideas into an effective proposal for funding. Look for how others have expressed their projects. Make a list of words funders include in their requests for proposals (RFP)

Use Google or your favorite search engine with various key words and combinations:

  • Agriculture grants Connecticut
  • Agriculture grants New England
  • Farming grants Connecticut
  • Organic farming grants
  • Sustainable farming grants
  • Then go back and substitute ‘funding’ for grants.

Other words to search on:

  • women
  • small business
  • entrepreneurship
  • growing
  • food, etc.

Note: if a URL/link below doesn’t work, please copy the title (words in bold) into your search engine. Web addresses do change.

See also:
Looking for Dollars Worksheet, pdf, 1pg
Finding $$$$ - A Baker’s Dozen Tips, .pdf of PowerPoint or .rtf outline was established as a governmental resource named the E-Grants Initiative, part of the President's 2002 Fiscal Year Management Agenda to improve government services to the public. The concept has its origins in the Federal Financial Assistance Management Improvement Act of 1999, also known as Public Law 106-107. Public Law 106-107 has since sunset and is now known as the Grants Policy Committee (GPC). Today, is a central storehouse for information on over 1,000 grant programs and provides access to approximately $500 billion in annual awards.

ATTRA - National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service is managed by the National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) and is funded under a grant from the United States Department of Agriculture's Rural Business-Cooperative Service. It provides information and other technical assistance to farmers, ranchers, Extension agents, educators, and others involved in sustainable agriculture in the United States. (ATTRA was formerly known as the "Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas" project.) ATTRA - the National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service.

Barns Grant: an historic preservation technical assistance and granting program of the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, with funding from the Connecticut General Assembly. The purpose of the Barns Grant: to support efforts to preserve the iconic historic barns of Connecticut. The Barns Grant is offered to non-profit (501c3) organizations and municipalities and to private owners of significant barns.

Starting a Specialty Food Business: The Speciality Food Association offers guidance to those looking to start specialty food companies. For more information please contact the CT Speciality Food Association,

Connecticut Department of Agriculture offers three grant programs that have various deadlines. This webpage gives the details and a link for each. They are Farm Reinvestment Grant, Farm Transition Grant and Farm Viability Grant Program for Municipalities.

The CT Grown Joint Venture Grant Program offers competitive, matching funds to producers and agricultural associations to promote Connecticut agricultural products through the use of the CT Grown logo.

Dairy Farm Reinforcement Loan Program, announced by Governor M. Jodi Rell July 7, 2006, is designed to help the dairy industry reverse recent financial losses by providing grants, loans and access to credit to offset costs incurred due to federal price controls and high energy costs. The loans are available to licensed dairy farmers in this state.

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) was reauthorized in the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002 (Farm Bill) to provide a voluntary conservation program for farmers and ranchers that promotes agricultural production and environmental quality as compatible national goals. EQIP offers financial and technical help to assist eligible participants install or implement structural and management practices on eligible agricultural land. EQIP provides payments up to 75 percent of the incurred costs and income foregone of certain conservation practices and activities. However certain historically underserved producers (Limited resource farmers/ranchers, beginning farmers/ranchers, socially disadvantaged producers) may be eligible for payments up to 90 percent of the estimated incurred costs and income foregone. Farmers and ranchers may elect to use a certified Technical Service Provider (TSP) for technical assistance needed for certain eligible activities and services.

Northeast Sustainable Agriculture, Research and Education offers grant to farmers, both as individuals and in cooperation with academic institutions, research organizations and community groups. Details, (deadlines vary, with several in December of each year) and examples of past funded projects are available at:

Agricultural Resources Directory: Links to many, many agricultural agencies at the local, Connecticut and Federal levels maintained by the Connecticut Department of Agriculture.

Business Support: Various State of Connecticut Departments offer support for businesses. It’s worth exploring what they have to offer. While they may not be specifically focused on agriculture, you will find opportunities to consider. Plus, you will gain ideas for key business words that may strengthen proposals and talking points.|45051|#46083

Beginning Farmer opportunities:

Small Farm Funding Resources, National Agricultural Library, Rural Information Center (RIC). RIC has compiled this funding resource from a variety of private, state, and federal online funding databases.

This material is based upon work supported by USDA/CSREES under award number 2007-49200-03888


This material is based upon work supported by USDA/NIFA under Award Number 2018-70027-28588.


“In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, contact USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Civil Rights, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Ave., SW., Washington, D.C., 02050-9410 or call 1-866-632-9992 Toll Free; or 1-800-877-8339 Federal Relay Service; or 1-800-845-6136 (In Spanish); or 1-800 795-3272 between the hours of 8:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time; or (TDD) 720-2600. This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.”