Farm Transfer/Estate Planning
Farm transfer and estate planning generally go hand in hand. Understanding the family dynamics as well as knowing your options is critical for any plan to work. The sites listed below explore farm transfer options, issues to consider and important estate planning concepts.
These sites provide general information on farm transfer/estate planning. Each site opens the door to an array of related topics.
- Connecticut Farmland Trust: Preservation - Reviews main goals in an estate plan and how to achieve them.
- Transfering Your Farm Business to Family Relations - Human relations guidelines in farm transfers.
- Ag Risk Education Libray - Brings you to the National Ag Risk Education Library that opens the door to a huge array of publications. Click on Ag Risk Library.
- Working Lands Alliance - This site provides helpful information on the Working Lands and Farm Land Preservation Activities.
These sites provide more specific information on farm transfer/estate planning. Please refer to the brief web site description for more details.
- Two Generation Farming: Getting Started - If you plan to transfer your business to the next generation, consider these factors.
- Estate and Succession Planning for Small Business Owners - The basics of estate planning and its components.
- The Basics of Estate Planning - Extensive manual on the tools needed to develop an estate plan with a professional.
- Transferring Your Farm or Ranch to the Next Generation
- Using Life Insurance in Farm and Ranch Estate Planning - Explains the use of life insurance to develop your estate plan.
- Transferring Machinery and Livestock